Friday 4 May 2012

The PledgeThe Pledge by Kimberly Derting
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I do so like being surprised. I have been buried under an abundance of sub par literature and books that can be summed up by one simple sound...meh!!! So imagine when my joy when I began reading this, when slowly and steadily it began drawing me in. It took a little while, but soon the well formed, fleshed out characters and intriguing story had me hooked.

I will admit, I wondered at the idea of this being a mix of both Fantasy and Dystopia. In all honesty this is more of the latter, the only hint of fantasy coming from a few brief displays of magic, and an antiquated culture missing the gleam, polish and advancement of many books boasting to be Dystopia. It was really rather refreshing. No futuristic pomp, just good old fashioned story telling.

The romance got dangerously close to tumbling off the edge and plunging into the realms of cheesiness, but thankfully kept it's balance and remained the right side of classy. There were characters you could believe in and get behind, with an all important strong female lead that carried the plot well.

All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable read >.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment