Friday 16 March 2012

Starters by Lissa Price

Starters (Starters, #1)Starters by Lissa Price
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was was a bit of an up and down read for me. The story was really quite interesting, so I didn't have any real problems there, it was just the writing. I have an issue with authors who gunk up their novels with useless and flowery prose describing stuff that I really don't care about and usually ignore, and this book wasn't like that at all, which was great. In fact it was almost at the complete opposite end of the spectrum. The narrative was a bit on the sparse side, and rather than describing events, at points the author was just making lists, like 'we went here, I did this. This happened, then someone chased me, then I found this...' It felt a little clinical, which made it difficult to engage with the characters.

Luckily though, by the end the narrative picked up and the story got really interesting so I will almost certainly be continuing with the series. Although, there was a couple of bits right towards the end that I found rather frustrating. It was like the author wasn't sure whether she's done enough to convince her readers to read the next one when it comes out, so she went and threw in a couple of things that left me thinking...'what?!!! Why?!!' and 'what does that mean?'...so that was a tad annoying, but otherwise this was an original and engaging read!!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment