Saturday 21 January 2012

I Just Read...Supernaturally by Keirsten White






SupernaturallySupernaturally by Kiersten White
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

So yeah. I'm probably the only person on the planet that thinks this but...I was a smidge disppointed. But I think it's only down to how much I LOOOOVED Paranormalcy. This one just seemed to have lost all that made the first one so brilliant.

I would list Evie as one of my favourite characters of all time. She was fun, quirky, silly, daft, basically everything all those other sappy, love-sick, moronic girls from other paranormal romance books aren't. You may have noted however, I said she 'was'. Unfortunately it seems like she's been hanging around with them too much, as in Supernaturally, she pretty much becomes one of them. She now spends a lot of her time mooning about how unfair everything is, moaning about all the things she doesn't think she can have, fawning over her man etc. Her intelligence has also taken a bit of a bashing. In fact she is quite stupid. She's too busy whining to realise what's right in front her. She's just not fun any more. I used to think that if I ever met she would be an awesome person to hang out with, but now she's kind of person I would do all in my power to avoid. The worst thing is, is that there were the odd flashes of the old Evie, but they never lasted long.

All this wouldn't be too bad if there was a really gripping plot to focus on. Again, unfortunately this was sadly lacking in comparison to the first. In fact, I'm trying to recall what the book was actually about and I'm struggling. I finished it an hour ago.

All this sounds ridiculously negative. I think a lot of it stems from just a general disappointedness. Once I started realising that this wasn't going to be the same kind of book as Paranormalcy, I couldn't adapt. I couldn't shake the feeling of sadness that Supernaturally had become like one of those thousands other other dark romance books.

And I really, really wanted to love this. But I can't. I like it, it was ok, but no-where near the same level of sheer fun and brilliance of Paranormalcy. If I'm ridiculously honest, the reason it got 3 stars and not 2 was because of my love for the first book. Dammit, why?!!!!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment