Monday 9 April 2012

Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1)Soulless by Gail Carriger
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Oh I so needed this. It was fun, silly, a bit daft, but in a way that was utterly fabulous. I was reading this at work, and I don't mean on my lunch break. I mean while I should have been working. I would walk passed it, read a couple of pages, do a lap of the shop and come back again. I got to chapter 5 and thought bugger it, this is just too good, I must devour within two days, AND I DID!!!!

I generally avoid books that deal with vampires and werewolves. Because they are boring. And unoriginal. And generally just suck ginormous balls. But not this one. Everything is done very tongue and cheek, the outrageously gay and flamboyant vampire with interesting tastes in attire springs to mind. I had a particular fondness for a certain gruff and oh-so-manly werewolf (the fact that he was Scottish helped >.<) and the female lead Alexia, who was a scandal just waiting to happen but glorious in her feistiness and unwillingness to back down. Their relationship had me laughing and smiling so much my face ached. I do love a good bit of old fashioned bickering and those two squabbled like the best of them.

I really can't stress enough how much I enjoyed this. Carriger has the rapier wit and writing style of a master. Every sentence was an absolute joy to read and perfectly crafted with charm and flair. If I wasn't tripping over my own fingers in my haste to write this review, there's a slim chance I'd actually be able to do this justice, but alas I can't because I loved this book so much my brain is having trouble forming sentences due to the fact that it has melted into a gooey puddle of happiness!!! YAY

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment